BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Thursday 27 July 2017

Delemont:A Traditional POST BUS Garage

Delemont Garage was very typical of the older Swiss Post Bus depots and like many others it only had a small allocation of about eight and by the time I took this the building had passed to the local PTT contractor whilst Delemont got a new modern open plan garage with railings and security cameras etc not too far away. Of course few would bother to photograph a structure like this but I'm glad I went there as it was the thought of seeing the Post Buses that made names and dots on the map alluring to me as a PTT bus-mad schoolboy. And so typical was it too I remember at other locations wishing I could see the bus numbers through that frosted glass when a garage was shut up. Thankfully some garages painted the bus number on the wall so the drivers knew which bay was home. Although to PTT standard spec it did not really take to the Magrius 160R81 and most of the main thirteen batch could be found at the nearby at the Cret -du-Locale-Garage also in the Jura near the French border. But Delemont did have one in 1990 P22204 as part of it's mixed fleet. State run the PTT more or less 'reluctantly' ran buses and would rather find a contractor to do the work I felt, but most of it's operations lasted many years but it did not lead much to expansion, indeed quite the opposite. But alas in those days did anything change quickly in Switzerland, something that I loved about the place.

No comments: